Sunday, August 16, 2009

Ghostland Observatory - Silver City


Ghostland Observatory is officially one of my favorite bands right now. I can't really put my finger on just why that is, but if the above image doesn't illustrate how cool they are, I'm not sure if I can do much better. I also don't know exactly what to call their music. It's definitely rock-based, with a lot of electronic elements and some occasional funk influence thrown in, but to try and categorize it seems a bit futile. A few things I do know, however: it's melodic without being oversimplistic, groovily energetic (is that a word?), and somehow manages to remain organic and industrial at the same time. Bionic rock, maybe. You decide.

Ghostland Observatory - Silver City



This is a travelling song for me. It's about leaving one place and arriving in another, trying to find something new, something beautiful. Just getting out, being free, and discovering yourself. There's no regret involved, just a bright sense of optimism and the courage it takes to be a stranger in a new city. Uncertain, but uplifting. That's where this is at.


The beats are very cool, keeping things grooving along rhythmically without being too heavy or overpowering. I particularly like the vox synth that starts this track off and just keeps going in the background, providing the foundation for a number of melodic synth lines which do a great job of complementing the vocal melody. In short, a well-constructed song that makes me feel good every time. Mad respect.

If you dig, get hold of their gloriously titled debut album, delete.delete.i.eat.meat (Trashy Moped Recordings) and work from there. These guys are known for their versatility, so don't expect to hear the same thing every time. Prepare to be impressed.

1 comment:

  1. The nice thing about music is you don't have to deliberate about it. It goes into your head and you like it or you don't. I love
    Ghostland. They grabbed me almost 2 yrs ago and haven't let go of me yet.

    ReplyDelete