Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The xx


I'm not usually one of the first to jump on the bandwagon when it comes to the latest buzz, but I get the feeling that The xx are going to be making some substantial waves in the near future. I can't decide which of these tracks I prefer, so consider yourself lucky.

The xx - Islands
The xx - Crystalised

While I don't really like to compare two bands side by side, the reference can't be avoided. Ever since I got to know The Whitest Boy Alive, I've been waiting for an equal band to come along. The xx have risen to that challenge, and then some. The minimal, reverb-tinged guitar, rhythmic bass and laid-back drums are taken to a deeper level, creating a really sparse soundscape that is dark and beautiful. I can imagine this band playing in a dimly lit cave to an audience of none.


The male-female vocals really set these guys apart. Both vocalists have sublime voices on their own, but their ability to complement each other is what gives this music such an uncommonly ethereal sound. Every note sounds personal, as if they're singing to each other, and the lyrics, jumping expertly between metaphor and literal meaning, often add to that effect. There's also a veil of electronic ambience in the background, almost unnoticable at times, that subtly completes the dreamlike atmosphere. Midnight music at its best.


Interesting fact that I had to mention: these four 19-year-olds met at Elliott School in London, the same institution that produced Burial, Four Tet, and Hot Chip. Those of you who know any of these artists will be familiar with the unique sound that each has. Do we see a trend developing here?

If you dig, their debut album, xx (Young Turks/Rough Trade) was just released earlier this month. Get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment